Hero Challenge FAQ
What does it cost?
Costs savings are based on early deadlines.
Register Early and Save!
The Fit-Pit is an additional $15 over the cost of 5K Obstacle Course Run.
5K Obstacle Course Run Waves:
9:15AM / 10AM / 10:45AM / 11:30AM
Price Breaks - Course Only
$45.00 thru March 15th with FREE T-Shirt
$55.00 thru April 30th with FREE T-Shirt
$65.00 Thru May 31st FREE T-Shirt
$70.00 thru June 15th (online sales close)
$80.00 Walk-Up Registration Available Day of Event
$20 T-Shirt Available in Limited Sizes & Quantities Day of Event
Fit-Pit Workout (+ 5K Obstacle Course Run) Waves:
8:30AM (9:15AM Run) / 9:15AM (10AM Run) / 10AM (10:45AM Run)
Price Breaks - Course + Fit-Pit
$60.00 thru March 15th with FREE T-Shirt
$70.00 thru April 30th with FREE T-Shirt
$80.00 Thru May 31st with FREE T-Shirt
$85.00 thru June 15th (online sales close)
$95.00 Walk-Up Registration Available Day of Event
$20 T-Shirt Available in Limited Sizes & Quantities Day of Event
Online Registration Ends Monday June 15th.
Walk-Up Registration Available Day of Event.
What do I get with my entrance fee?
- Course Access
- Hero Challenge T-Shirt (if pre-registered by May 31st 2015)
- One FREE beer...yum!
- Free photographs post event
- Online times and scores. Digital RFID timing!
- Post event snack
- Access to entertainment
- Wet, muddy, tired, sore, sweaty, fun…you are now a hero to somebody!
- If you registered for the Fit-Pit you also get access to participate in the Obstacle Course
- Great feeling of benefiting the family of Grant Reed!
What real life "Hero" does the event benefit?
- For 2015 we are donating a portion of the proceeds to Grant Reed, a local Hero. More information on Grant can be found here. Grants Father (Troy) is a Lieutenant with the Mansfield Fire Department. We became aquainted with The Reed's through our involvement with our previous beneficiary. Join the Conversation with Grant in his Public Facebook Group.
- For 2013 and 2014 we supported Joe Tadijanac who was a local Fireman of Washington Township here in Richland County. Joe Tadijanac is a double amputee who lost his legs in the line of duty while responding to a house fire. Participation in Hero Challenge benefited he and his family. Join the Conversation with Joe in his Public Facebook Group.
What time should I arrive?
- 1 hour before your schedule event time to get settled in and ready for your events.
What should I bring?
- Photo ID
- WAIVER- Signed waiver that can be downloaded here.
- Clothing you don't mind throwing away after the event and maybe some tape to wrap your shoes with so they don't come off in the mud!
- Cash for food and beverage but we do take credit cards for all needs.
What is the minimum age to participate?
- 13 years of age to run the 5K obstacle course and you must be 16 years of age to participate in the Fit-Pit Workout. All participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign their wavier. Participation based on age as of June 20th 2015.
How many obstacles are on the Hero Challenge course?
- We had 34 Obstacles last year! Expect about the same, with some less popular gone and new fun and challenging features to come for 2015!! Mud zones and additional Wet Zones, Climbing, and Traversing all part of the mix!
What is the Fit-Pit Workout?
- A CrossFit type competition consisting of 4 stations where the participant spends 90 seconds doing as many reps as possible, with 30 seconds of Rest between each station. Men and Women's, as well as Team of 4 winners are awarded prizes.
I just want to be in the Fit-Pit, do I have to run the 5K Obstacle Course?
- Yes. The course is a post Fit-Pit qualifier. You have 45 minutes between the beginning of your Fit-Pit and starting the 5K course.
Where can I find a course map?
- Our plans are fluid right up to race day so we decided that a map was a bit time consuming and other then quench your curiosity...offers little advantage. With that said we did one the first year including a Google Earth KML file...those course is always going to be similar so check out our DAY OF page.
Can I run the course ahead of the event?
Will photos from event day be posted online?
- Yes. High resolution images of participants and the event will be available, post event for free downloading here>> gallery.snowtrails.com
Can we take photos?
Can I bring my own food and alcohol?
- No. There will be food and beverages available.
Is the Event Timed?
- The event will be timed but not with RFID for this year. Last year we had RFID for the first time at a considerable cost and the results were terrible and not accurate. We'd prefer to save a huge chunk of change until the event grows in size. You will get times post event on this website!
Do you offer group discounts for participants?
How many people will be in each 5K obstacle course wave?
There will be approximately 100 participants in each wave, with several waves throughout the day.
What do I win?
For the obstacle course participants, a wonderful feeling of accomplish and helping a great cause. Prizes will be given for participants in the Team Challenge.
What if I get hurt?
- We'll have first responders, first aid and medical transportation on site.
Can I skip an obstacle?
- Yes, but only after attempting them. And, why would you want to? It is part of the fun! Challenge your inner hero!!
Are there Refunds?
- No, but you can transfer your registration to a friend…see next question!
Can I transfer my registration to a friend?
Yes, up until Sunday June 14th. Use the Contact Us page to request your change of registration. No changes over the phone and no day of race changes accepted.
Is there a place to store bags?
- Coin lockers are available on site. As always, Snow Trails is not responsible for any personal belongings brought onto the grounds...so think ahead!
Will you cancel the event if the weather is bad?
- The event will not cancel due to weather…with the exception of a delay due to lightning. Rain will just add to the fun (and challenge)!
Is there camping?
- No camping but several RV hooks up are available. Contact Us about reserving a spot.
Are there discounts at local hotels?
- We are working on special discounts for participants, and will announce soon. For now, here is a list of accommodations close to Snow Trails- Area Accommodations.
How will I clean off post event?
- A rinse off areas will be provided (outdoor showers), as well as areas to change clothing and bathrooms located outside and inside the Lodge. Muddy participants will be turned away from the Lodge!
How should I train for this?
- Use our Contact Us form and a Fit 1 Crossfit member can get back to you on fantastic training ideas.
I have many more questions…who can I contact?
At this time you can contact us via our Contact Us form only…we'll get back quickly. Snow Trails and Fit1 will not be taking phone calls for this event, you will be directed to this website to contact us…we'll make sure the right person gets back to your inquiry ASAP.